Marketing and writing professional with more than 25 years experience. Specializing in restaurants, food, retail, hospitality, tourism, entertainment and travel. In media: skilled in all forms of writing: full features, restaurant reviews, news columns, business reporting, investigative, first person “adventure” and engaging personality profiles. Numerous Press Club awards. In marketing: copywriting, effective public relations, special event planning, campaign creative direction including TV and radio, graphic design capability. Extremely motivated, independent self-starter, deadline driven.
VOICES IN INK CREATIVE AZ & CA
President / July 1990 - Present
Full Service Marketing – Feature Writing
Feature Writing for: San Francisco Chronicle, Press Democrat, Arizona Republic, Alaska/Horizon Air magazine, Modern Luxury magazine, Sunset magazine, Travel & Leisure, Phoenix Magazine and many other publications and blog sites.
CABCORP, Novato, CA
Director of Marketing / July 2006 – August 2013
An international wine merchant with wineries in Chile, Argentina and Spain plus a luxury winery resort in Chile. Includes marketing direction for four dozen+ wine labels, wineries and resort (creative content and management of all sales materials, packaging and multiple web identities), public relations campaigns, local distributor and sales staff relations, cooperative promotions, and direction of marketing activities with global staff.
FESTIVA ENTERTAINMENT, Tempe, AZ Marketing Director / October 2004 – July 2006
A restaurant and golfing information web and publishing company. Includes developing all marketing related activities: all sales collateral material, instructional material for merchants and consumers, web site content, display advertising, editorial placements, events management and editorial direction/feature writing for Festiva publications.
NEW TIMES, Phoenix, AZ
Restaurant Critic & Feature Writer / December 1999 – January 2004
Full-time critic/reporter. Write weekly reviews, weekly news column, and full-length features.
DIAMOND KEY HOMES, Phoenix, AZ Marketing Director / February 1996 –November 1999
Sole, in-house marketing employee – no ad agency utilized for 15 new home communities in Phoenix and Tucson. Annual plan and budget conception for $70 million company including all advertising, public relations, promotions, sales and model home design.
PFAELZER JOHNS & FITZGERALD, Phoenix, AZ / Creative Director / July 1987 – July 1990
Public Relations Agency. Annual plan and event conception, press release and collateral writing, graphics, advertising concept and copywriting, newsletter coordination and writing, and campaign theme conception and implementation. Extensive media contact for story placement. Extensive special events planning.
TOMASO RESTAURANTS, Phoenix, AZ Marketing Director / May 1989 – December 1991
Full creative, public relations, advertising and special events management for five eateries in Arizona, and counsel for three California restaurants.
WS ADVERTISING, Phoenix, AZ
September 1984 – July 1986
Public Relations Director / Copywriter / Illustrator / Broadcast Production Assistant
Full Service Writing
AWARDS / ASSOCIATIONS
· First place for Best Newspaper Food Coverage (Arizona Republic team) Association of Food Journalists, 2015
· First Place for Best Newspaper Food Coverage (Arizona Republic team), Association of Food Journalists, 2015
· Winner, First Place, Restaurant Criticism, Arizona Press Club, 2003
· Winner, First Place, Business Industry reporting, Arizona Press Club, 2003
· Winner, First Place, Restaurant Criticism, Arizona Press Club, 2002
· Winner, Second Place, Restaurant Criticism, Arizona Press Club, 2002
· Winner, First Place, Restaurant Criticism, National, Society of Professional Food Journalists, 2001
· Nominee/First Runner Up “Culinary Media Master” Arizona Hall of Fame, 2009
· Appearances, KTAR talk show, Pat McMahon talk show (television), Radio Café talk show, Peter Greenberg CBS Travel show
· Member, James Beard Foundation
· Certified Tourism Ambassador – Sonoma County, 2013
· Graduate of Sophisticated Palate – Culinary Insitute of America, 2009
· Volunteer, Careers through Culinary Arts Program scholarships, Event Planning for Fundraisers, Media Relations, Academic Relations
· Winner, Gold Award, Southwest Region, National Sales and Marketing Council / National Association of Home Builders “Community of the Year” 1997
· Winner, Silver Award, U.S. Category, National Sales and Marketing Council / National Association of Home Builders “Community of the Year” 1998
· Addy Merit Award, 1988
· Member, AD2 Phoenix Club / Board of Directors 1989-90
· Ad2 Public Service Campaign Co-Chair (Client Arizona Animal Welfare League won highest score ever awarded in National Ad Federation competition) 1990-91
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY Class of December 1990
Bachelor of Arts - Dean’s List - High Honors – Dean’s List – Phi Theta Kappa
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY September 1985 – January 1986
Tisch School of the Arts – Major: Dramatic Writing
PHOENIX COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL 1977 – 1985
Emphasis on writing, photography, foreign language
NISHIMACHI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL 1974 – 1977
Private Embassy School, Tokyo, Japan